Thursday, December 8, 2011

What can i put in the "Reason for Leaving" box on an Application for Employment?

My last job was in a the field that i love and am currently trying to get another job in doing the same thing however i where i am applying now is a local business rather than corporate franchise. My Dilemma is what to put in the "reason for leaving" box on the application. I was fired from the corporate company, however prior to this i received a raise and was told by my store manager that it was well deserved and that i should move up to the next available shift management position. I had only been written up twice and for ridiculous things such as not being fast enough at my job when i had only been employed 2 months and once for being 6 minutes late. The week after i received my raise was the week before christmas, my store manager became very sick and was in the hospital for a few days because of this a store manager at another store created our schedule for us the week of christmas. Our store was actually closed on christmas however the store manager who was in charge of the schedule for the time decided to remain open for the holiday, we (as employees of the same company) were offered the opportunity to work at that store if we would like to make extra pay (however it was optional). I was scheduled to work christmas day from the morning til late afternoon along with me was a new associate who was barely finished with his training. A women who was 6 months pregnant and a shift manager who had been overworked since transferring into our store and had a chip on her shoulder. I was very unhappy that i was scheduled without choice when it was explained to be optional, we were the only one's scheduled at that store (none of the stores main employees were scheduled). I went ahead and started posted notes stating that if anyone wanted to work the shift they could and left my number for them to call, i also contacted the other stores manager but could not reach her. My manager came back to work the thursday before christmas he called me to tell me that(christmas aside) i would either have to work the shift or find someone to cover it. I could not find anyone to cover it. I called christmas day 2 hours before my shift as it began snowing and told the shift manager i would not be able to make it because i did not have a ride willing to drive in the snow on christmas day nor the money for a cab. I apologized and told her "i hope you guys find someone to help with coverage", She acted annoyed and simply said "yep". The following day i was scheduled and prior to my shift my store manager leaves me a msg and asks me to give him a call back. I return his call and can not reach him. I went in for my shift worked 20 minutes and theni receive a phone while at work from My store manager he says..."I just wanted to let you know that ********* and i have decided to terminate your employment" I asked him if he were serious and told him that i would need it in writing because i was going to take it to HR all he said was that "im not going to do that but you can i do that if you like and i will contact HR too and tell them about christmas." I was so infuriated at how unprofessional he was i did not understand how i went from doing so well and was given a raise and such and then fired and the grounds of my termination were never stated. I contacted the DM and still have not heard anything back. I'm trying to contact corporate. I loved what i did and i was very well qualified. I am hoping to get this job that i am applying for now but i am not sure what to put in the reason for leaving section, does anyone have any suggestions? The job is (like i said) in the same field and most of my skills listed on the application are ones obtained from the job of which i was terminated so i feel it's necessary to put as a reference.|||The best thing to put is the truth just not so long, employers appreciate honesty. But you do not have to explain it in such a way just let them know you were terminated and by law when they call to check to see if you were employed by the other company, the other company can not tell them why you were terminated they can only verify your employment. So just be honest you don't need to make anything up or explain yourself simply say you were terminated.|||No matter what the reason for you leaving, you should always put "Left due to no advancement opportunities", or "Left job for so and so". (So and so is whatever job you worked after that, if there is no job after that, then you put the advancement opportunities job).

No comments:

Post a Comment