Thursday, December 8, 2011

Exempt employee forced to work regular week and every other weekend?

I am an exempt employee who has worked at my job for 12 years. I have been exempt for approximately 10 years. I have always worked a minimum of 45 hours a week - usually closer to 50. Recently I was put in charge of a department that has a small crew that works 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday. I was told when I was transferred (not by my choice) to this department that I, along with the supervisor who reports to me would be responsible for providing management coverage on weekends. That means that I work my regular Monday through Friday schedule and every other Saturday and Sunday. There are 8 other management (exempt) employees who are not being forced to work weekends. I live in Ohio.|||Are you asking if this is legal? The answer is yes. (And I feel for you - my mother went through the same thing!)





If you feel you are not getting paid enough to do this, you need to bring that up with your boss or human resources, whoever is in charge of that. And do so politely - detail everything you have done for the company, your accomplishments, and now your additional hours, and tell them you feel it would be fair to be appropriately compensated for it.





They may or may not give you a raise. If that's the case, and you are unhappy with your situation, you may want to consider finding a new job.





Exempt employees are exactly that - exempt from overtime, no matter how many hours they work. Your only recourse is to ask for more money and/or find another job.|||my friend I live in columbus and the laws are mess up here also you have a union contract or a personal contract you can't do anything about what happen to me I was on swing shift and i kept working every holiday i talk to a labor lawyer and he said thy can di it sorry|||I'm fairly certain they can't make you work almost 2 weeks without a day off. I'm not sure about Ohio state law, but I know in Washington state you have to have at least one day off a week.





Talk to your other supervisor (the one who reports to you) and find out what they think about the new requirements. Your next step would be to talk to whoever it was who told you about your new schedule requirements and find out why the other management employees aren't being forces to work the weekends too.





If nothing changes, your next step would be to talk to a lawyer and find out what your rights are. You may have to take legal action. A company cannot force you to do anything, and it sounds like what they're doing is illegal. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment