Thursday, December 8, 2011

My employer employs me, I just don't work?

I work at Club Monaco. I work "part time".





I have been employed by them since January 2011, at which point I started out with 20 hours per week.





On June 9th I noticed I was not on the schedule at all, for any hours. I had slowly watched my hours get reduced before - I was just as productive as everyone else, and I get along fine with the staff and the customers, and I have a low return rate..





Management changed, around this time as well. On June 16th I went into the store and politely notified the store manager that I need hours, as I have rent to pay, etc. She said she understand and would try and put me on the schedule for the next week.





She didn't.





The next week, June the 22nd, I asked for the same thing in person, and she said she would, yet again, and yet again, she didn't.





Same on July the 1st,





It has now been almost a month since I worked, yet I am still on the employee list, and I can still go in and use my discount no problem. Everyone acts like I worked only yesterday...





This makes me really mad, and I don't want to quit my job, cause I know I will be moving in 3 months and I can transfer to the store in the new city I am moving to. I have been lied to, cheated, and swindled, and it gets on my nerves. Do I have any right to contact The board of labor to make a complaint?? Are they allowed to do this to me??





Should I call head office?





I need this job for when I move, but at the same time, I need to afford to save and live until then - and I can't do it on wishful hopes for hours that never come.|||Unfortunately, the reality in retail is that payroll hours are really slim - and I know that Club Monaco is not doing amazingly well as a company. If they don't have hours to cover all of the staff, they first cover management and then drizzle hours to the most long term or most productive staff.





What I might suggest is that you have an honest conversation with your manager about when you'll work next. Explain that you'd love to transfer when you move, but you need income now. Explore the idea of getting another job if your manager is ok with that (which they will be). Let him/her know that you'll be available when you are not working your other job and will give them an availability schedule every 2 weeks.





Hope that helps.|||Sorry to hear that. I would simply look for another job - if the CM store you are working in has no hours, you may be in the same boat even if you do get a transfer.

Report Abuse


|||no.|||Have you been lied to? Maybe. Cheated and swindled? No. Nothing illegal is being done. The manager can schedule whomever she wants to, and there's no requirement for her to schedule you. Complaining to the dept of labor will get you nowhere, nor will calling the head office.





They're apparently keeping you on the employee list in case they get real busy and need you, but for whatever reason, want other people to work instead.





Look for another job.

No comments:

Post a Comment